Lead Ruby on Rails Engineer at 500friends in San Francisco, CA
500friends helps retailers increase their customer lifetime value. This is really important today as retailers are getting their butts kicked by Amazon (on-line) and Walmart (off-line).
We're backed by $12M in financing from Crosslink, Intel, and YCombinator and are trusted by over 40 of the Internet Retailer 1,000. Our management team also has a proven track record of building great companies and taking them to attractive exits. Our technology stack includes Ruby, Rails 3, MySQL, EC2.
As a member of our small but seriously talented engineering team, you will play a key role in both shaping and building our technologies. Your scope will be broad, ranging from user-facing features to server-side components and libraries. We are looking for a generalist who enjoys learning and working with different technologies. And of course you will be expected to commit code on your first day.
Yes, we realize that smart hackers are in demand. So what makes 500friends special?
- We care about our team: http://blog.500friends.com/2012/10/25/an-open-letter-to-future-team-members/
- Fast paced environment with no bureaucracy
- We're obsessed with hiring only the best; you won't ever have to deal with incompetency
- Competitive compensation package: cash, equity, and benefits
- Individual and company performance bonuses
- Free lunch every day
- We solve real world problems
- Funding for your next start-up: http://venturebeat.com/2012/08/10/founders-beware-500friends-will-catch-your-developers-with-seed-capital-bait/
- NO ASSHOLES AND POLITICS
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics
- In lieu of a technical degree, 4 years of relevant work experience is an acceptable substitute
- Strong foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design
- Work experience with relational databases and SQL
- Experience with agile development process in collaborative environment
- Good understanding of performance tradeoffs
Bonus points if you have:
- Master's or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field
- Experience designing and deploying large scale distributed data processing systems
- Experience in big data, information retrieval, data mining or machine learning
- High degree of proficiency in Linux systems administration
- You've built (and are dying to show us) something you're proud of, outside of work/school
Live outside the Bay Area? Not to worry! We will help you with relocation. Unable to relocate? You can commute to our offices every two weeks. We'll even book and pay for all your travel.