Wikia is a collaborative publishing platform that enables communities to discover, create, and share content on any topic in any language. Community-created wikis cover everything from the latest games, anime, music and TV shows to eco-friendly living and the world's best chocolate chip recipes. With 275,000 enthusiast communities attracting more than 100 million global unique visitors each month, Wikia is the largest user-generated media company and is a Top 30 site, according to Quantcast. Wikia was founded in 2004 by Jimmy Wales and Angela Beesley, and is headquartered in a brightly colored SOMA office in San Francisco, CA and branches in Poland, UK, Germany.
For our office in Poznań (Poland) we are looking to fill the position:
The Operations team is responsible for rapidly scaling a sophisticated production system infrastructure. We are strategically building, scaling, and evolving management systems and frameworks for a high availability, high growth infrastructure.
- Participate in the proof of concept, design, building, and operating of large scale systems,
- Provide large-scale data center hardware/operating system expertise,
- Support a high availability multi-site, multi-national, production web infrastructure,
- Identify, resolve, and prevent existing and future system bottleneck issues,
- Optimize and improve Wikia's infrastructure to support the growth of our platform,
- Participate in an on-call rotation and code release/deployment process.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Must possess a strong mindset for automation,
- Strong experience working with large scale MySQL databases,
- Database troubleshooting and performance tuning skills,
- Working knowledge of LAMP base applications,
- Experience in scripting in one or more of the following languages: Perl, Bash, Python or Ruby,
- English language skills allowing verbal and written communication,
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Bonus points if you have...
- Experience in data center infrastructure consisting of hundreds of servers/nodes,
- Experience with frameworks like Chef or Puppet,
- Experience in monitoring systems such as Nagios, Zabbix, Cacti, Ganglia, Splunk, or similar,
- Strong background in troubleshooting a complex dynamic web environment.
Benefits & Perks
Wikia offers a competitive salary of 8000 – 11000 PLN per month (gross, depending on experience), plus stock options. You’ll also get to expand your knowledge and skills with at least two fully paid professional conferences as well as two visits to our San Francisco office per year, team lunches, company trips and full pantry complete with delicious coffee, coke and cookies.
Please, include the following legal gibberish somewhere in your CV: Wyrażam zgodę na przetwarzanie moich danych osobowych dla potrzeb niezbędnych przy realizacji procesu rekrutacji zgodnie z Ustawą z dn. 29.08.97 o Ochronie Danych Osobowych (DZ.U. nr 133, poz. 883).