Change the face of education. Help students fall in love with the world around them. Shmoop (www.shmoop.com) is a digital curriculum company that makes learning, teaching, and test prep materials that are—dare we say it—awesome, thrilling, spectacular, magnificent, unforgettable, and...smart. Really smart.
If you’re harboring a secret love for the Oxford comma or have positive feelings about appositives, look no further. To help carry out Shmoop’s (mostly benign) plans for world domination, we’re looking for a talented Project-Based Content Writer with a passion for the written word.
- Writing exceptional English and language arts test prep content for online publication
- Creating learning guides and appropriately difficult practice problems for teacher certification and college-readiness exams
- Finding public domain reading passages or writing short original works of fiction and nonfiction
- Surfing the Internet for hilarious yet informative English language-related content
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in composition, rhetoric, or English with strong academic performance (GPA 3.7+)
- Proficiency in English grammar, mechanics, reading strategies, and college-level essay writing
- Experience teaching or tutoring college students; training in pedagogy a plus
- An eye for detail and a knack for organization
- Competency in Microsoft Word
- Familiarity with writing for non-academic audiences
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including a brainy sense of humor
Our offices are located in Mountain View, California, but you can work from wherever you want (whenever you want, and also wearing whatever you want). The position is part-time, and you’ll be paid per completed project.
Send us your wittiest cover letter and resume; we’ll be waiting with bated breath. If we like what we see, a topic-specific writing sample and unofficial transcripts will be required.