About the company
OpenDNS is building new pieces of fundamental infrastructure for the Internet. We provide an exciting and fulfilling work environment, unmatched opportunity for professional growth, and excellent compensation. We are a startup funded by Sequoia Capital and Greylock Partners with a growing team working full-time at our fantastic offices in San Francisco (a block away from Caltrain and SF Muni) and have been operating a profitable business since 2007. Together we want to see a better and safer Internet for end-users around the world in enterprises and households alike.
About the position
OpenDNS is looking for an experienced Senior Systems Administrator to join the team and help run a global network of servers supporting millions of users. Your role will be to maintain all systems related to provisioning, upgrades, maintenance, monitoring, inventory, etc. This means you should be a systems administrator who has extensive experience administering and operating large infrastructures.
We're looking for someone who can hit the ground running and work well in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment. This role will report to the Director of Operations.
- An unbelievably strong sense of integrity and reliability.
- The ability to be proactive and aggressive, a self-starter and able to get things done.
- Experience running mission critical services that require 24/7/365 uptime.
- Experience with Debian Linux and FreeBSD.
- Experience in a datacenter environment, racking machines, cabling, cross connects, remote management, etc.
- Experience with bash or shell scripting.
- Experience with python, perl, or similar scripting language.
- Experience with KVM/qemu or other virtualization technology.
- Experience with building packages.
- Experience with kernel tuning, patching, recompiling and building modules.
- Experience with common monitoring tools, nagios, cacti, mrtg, smokeping.
- Available to respond and handle after hour issues and be on call.
- Experience with administering high-volume MySQL, Memcached, and NoSQL-like services.
- Experience with multi-datacenter architectures
- A university degree, preferably in a related field: computer science, math, physics, etc.
- Experience debugging hardware issues.
- Any kind of networking or routing experience (BGP, peering, etc.).
- Experience with amanda, rsnapshot or other backup solution.
- Experience with MySQL replication.
Our ideal candidate
- Excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to grow and adapt to rapidly changing requirements.
Benefits of working at OpenDNS
- Innovative -- We aren't a social networking or Web 2.0 photosharing site. We work on core Internet protocols and make them better.
- No ladders to climb -- We keep a relatively flat corporate structure that promotes fast movement and flexible teams.
- Meritocracy -- The best ideas win, regardless of where they come from.
- Time off to relax -- As a startup, we work our butts off. That's why it's important to get away to clear your mind from time to time. Three weeks and 10 company holidays make that easy.
- Technologists -- We are a company of engineers and technologists passionate about delivering a better Internet.
- Offsites -- It takes getting away for a day every quarter to focus on where we want to be as a company and how we're going to get there.
- No timecards -- We have a few weekly team meetings, but other than that delivering results counts for a lot more than sitting in your chair.
- Food -- Hard work makes you hungry. We keep a well-stocked kitchen with everything from cereal to ice cream.
- Frosty beverages -- Fridays often end with some nice frosty brewed beverages and good conversations.
- Breakfast by the Founder/CEO -- The early bird gets the worm, or in our case waffles on most Wednesdays, served by our Founder/CEO.
- Insurance -- We've got you covered from your head to your toes. Medical, Dental and Vision.
- 401(k) -- We're set up to help our team members practice responsible fiscal management.