Speech Scientist/Engineer at SoundHound in Santa Clara, CA
SoundHound is leading the mobile sound search revolution. Join us.
SoundHound delights millions of users every day with its famously fast music and voice recognition apps, and is winning awards and praise along the way. Our flagship app for iPhone and Android recently won the most competitive category in Billboard's inaugural Music App Awards, and achieved top-ten honors from the New York Times, becoming the only music app to do so.
"Insane" - The New York Times' David Pogue
"...could save your sanity" - Don Lemon, CNN
At SoundHound you'll be joining a diverse, world-class group of engineers, scientists, designers, and marketers on a team that includes both recent grads and seasoned veterans. Our strongest academic ties are with Stanford, and prior industry stops for our team members include Google, Amazon, Oracle, and Sony.
SoundHound not only builds killer apps but also the industry leading core technologies powering these apps. If you've worked on core technologies in a large company context, or have been an app developer licensing technologies that never quite keep up with your needs, you will appreciate the uniquely empowering experience of a workplace that combines people from both backgrounds – literally within a few yards of each other.
At SoundHound we value creativity, innovation, hard work, open communication and fast iteration, which allow us to act on valuable feedback from employees and users alike. SoundHound's culture is one of impromptu coffee breaks, less-impromptu fitness sessions, group lunches, and weekly happy hours. In vino veritas!
We offer a competitive salary, SoundHound stock options, unique camaraderie, catered lunches, and even occasional visits from recording artists (recently including Seal). SoundHound is an equal opportunity employer.
About the Role:
- At SoundHound, we not only build industry leading core technologies but also the killer mobile apps made possible by these technologies. Engineers on our Speech Recognition team interact closely with the engineers building our apps for millions of users, providing a dynamic experience impossible at other companies.
- This role requires very strong, in-depth speech recognition experience, such as a Masters or Ph.D. in the field.
- We expect you to love what you do, and be driven to create innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Software development spanning multiple aspects of our core speech recognition engine. Tasks may range from improving the recognition algorithm or acoustic models to architecting and developing new backend systems.
- Frequent deliverables requiring lots of coding/testing and some scripting, in a linux environment.
- Deliver improvements on our speech systems by mining and manipulating terabytes of data.
- Interact regularly with other SoundHound engineers, including those building mobile apps.
- Proficient in C++.
- Strong speech recognition background (Ph.D. with speech focus or equivalent experience).
- Proven track record designing and delivering scalable and maintainable systems.
- Self-directed with ability to create/prioritize projects.
Nice to haves:
- Experience with acoustic modeling, NLP, linguistics, and phonetics.
- Proficiency in MATLAB.
- Knowledge of multiple spoken languages.
How to Apply:
- Please send us your resume and cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. We need people who can communicate effectively in both code and English. Tell us why you would like a job at SoundHound in particular.