Principal Software Engineer, Server-Side Development at SoundHound in Santa C...
SoundHound is leading the mobile sound search revolution. Join us.
SoundHound delights millions of users every day with its famously fast music and voice recognition apps, and is winning awards and praise along the way. Our flagship app for iPhone and Android recently won the most competitive category in Billboard's inaugural Music App Awards, and achieved top-ten honors from the New York Times, becoming the only music app to do so.
"Insane" - The New York Times' David Pogue
"...could save your sanity" - Don Lemon, CNN
At SoundHound you'll be joining a diverse, world-class group of engineers, scientists, designers, and marketers on a team that includes both recent grads and seasoned veterans. Our strongest academic ties are with Stanford, and prior industry stops for our team members include Google, Amazon, Oracle, and Sony.
SoundHound not only builds killer apps but also the industry leading core technologies powering these apps. If you've worked on core technologies in a large company context, or have been an app developer licensing technologies that never quite keep up with your needs, you will appreciate the uniquely empowering experience of a workplace that combines people from both backgrounds – literally within a few yards of each other.
At SoundHound we value creativity, innovation, hard work, open communication and fast iteration, which allow us to act on valuable feedback from employees and users alike. SoundHound's culture is one of impromptu coffee breaks, less-impromptu fitness sessions, group lunches, and weekly happy hours. In vino veritas!
We offer a competitive salary, SoundHound stock options, unique camaraderie, catered lunches, and even occasional visits from recording artists (recently including Seal). SoundHound is an equal opportunity employer.
- You will need a sense of adventure and a battle-tested ability to build highly scalable systems.
- You love writing code, reviewing code, deprecating code, and mentoring other engineers.
- You care deeply about keeping the Ops team's pagers quiet.
- You're comfortable taking a central role in helping us expand the team and evaluate talent.
- Identify key scaling/stability pain points and architect/implement solutions, allowing SoundHound to keep up with explosive growth in user base.
- Lots of hands-on design and coding, including rapidly building new highly scalable systems.
- Provide leadership in areas of security and robustness against DDOS and other attacks.
- Interface regularly with other parts of the engineering organization (including mobile apps and the core back-end teams) as well as product/business teams.
- Deep knowledge of multiple relevant languages (Java, C/C++, Php, Python, etc)
- Proven track record designing massively scalable systems
- Strong command of Unix/Linux environment and LAMP stack
- Ability to provide mentorship, code-reviews, and guidance for junior team members
Nice to Haves:
- Experience building API's to support apps on iPhone, Android, etc.
- Experience with common server-side technologies (Tomcat, Memcached, MySQL, NoSQL, etc)
- Experience working with audio signals and music-related data
- Experience working with text search systems and/or speech technologies
How to Apply:
- Please send us your resume and cover letter. Tell us why you would like a job at SoundHound in particular.