UX/UI Consultant for Humanity at Benetech in Palo Alto, CA
Benetech is a non-profit social enterprise that develops technology to address pressing social needs. Today we build software to address literacy, human rights and environmental conservation. We combine a social conscience with Silicon Valley's talent to develop technology that has a lasting impact on critical needs around the world. At Benetech, we embrace a social enterprise business model that measures our success not in dollars, but in the number of lives we change. We are a technology company where social benefit, not profit, is the bottom line.
Benetech was founded 20 years ago and has 60 employees, most of which work out of our Palo Alto headquarters on California Av. (walking distance from Caltrain and Stanford University).
Benetech’s flagship project, Bookshare (http://bookshare.org), opens new doors for people with visual and reading disabilities. Bookshare is the world’s largest accessible library of scanned books and periodicals. Bookshare offers more than 150,000 books in its online collection and gives people who can’t read traditional printed books, access to a dramatically expanded world of information. You can think of Bookshare as Amazon.com meets Napster, meets Talking Books for the Blind - but legal! This project is funded by the U.S Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs, to provide this service to all U.S. qualified students for free.
Benetech is seeking a part time User Interface Engineer who will play a critical role as a front-end designer & developer for Bookshare.org and other Benetech products and sites. The UI Engineer will design and improve the site information architecture, visual design and user interface controls in collaboration with Product Management and Engineering.
This is a part-time, contract position for up to 80 hrs/month, for 6-12 months. The candidate must be able to meet at Benetech's headquarters in Palo Alto, CA on a frequent basis.
Please be sure to include a cover letter with your resume. Also include links to work you have done and specify what specific challenges you undertook.
- Minimum of 5 years experience with web user interface design/development of consumer web applications and/or e-commerce sites.
- Mastery of and passion for interaction design.
- Demonstrated experience with HTML, CSS, cross-browser and mobile development practices and browser degradation strategies.
- Experience with design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Visio, and Dreamweaver.
- Experience rapidly building and testing UI prototypes - moving concepts into detailed wireframes, flowcharts, and mockups.
- Experience with managing focus groups and user testing
- Experience with dynamic template solutions, such as Freemarker
- Experience with implementation and use of web analytics products to guide site design
- Experience with SEO
- Understanding of accessibility issues and WAI-ARIA is highly desired
- Experience designing mobile user interfaces a plus (e.g. iPhone or Android)
- Experience/familiarity with agile development methodology, working with QA, familiarity with bug tracking systems (e.g. Jira, GitHub issues), and experience with any brand of revision history management tool (we use Bazaar and GitHub)
- Understanding of content management systems and integration within a dynamic web engineering environment
Interpersonal Skills & Critical Success Factors
- Ability to manage multiple inputs and speak up when problems and questions occur
- Comfortable sharing ideas in a group of diverse people
- Thorough documentation of technical work
- Prompt turn-around; able to make changes within 24 hours if necessary
- Meticulous, thorough with page edits and code changes
- Superb self-management skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment with little supervision
- Driven to make a difference in society