Developer Evangelist/Advocate (Remote Possible) at Xamarin in San Francisco, CA
Xamarin is on a mission to make it fast, easy and fun to build great mobile apps. Founded in May 2011, Xamarin is a very fast-growing VC funded mobile startup with offices in San Francisco and Boston. Over 320,000 developers and thousands of customers use Xamarin because we provide the best platform to create great, fully native mobile apps for iOS, Android, Mac and Windows.
Xamarin is redefining cross-platform mobile development by unifying fully native app development for iOS, Android, Mac and Windows in a single C#-based platform. Developers get full access to each platform’s APIs — anything that can be done in Objective-C and Java can be done with Xamarin — and share on average up to 75% source code across platforms.
Why we need you:
As a Xamarin Developer Evangelist you'll be responsible for spreading the word about MonoTouch and Mono for Android to developers around the world, online and in person. Xamarin is growing FAST and needs social coders to help us reach and enable even more developers to build successful iOS and Android mobile apps with C#.
The Ideal Candidate
A successful Developer Evangelist has equally strong technical chops and people skills. You love to code, but you love to talk to people about code just as much.
Does this sound like you?
- You build mobile apps in your spare time just for fun.
- You actively contribute to OSS projects or have started one yourself.
- You have a penchant for teaching others about new things.
- You blog about your technical escapades and discoveries.
- You participate in online communities like Twitter, Stack Overflow and Hacker News.
- You attend hackathons and meetups to build new things and network with other people.
- You keep up with new technologies, trying many of them out for yourself.
- You enjoy giving technical talks and presentations.
If you regularly do many of these activities, you'll enjoy being a Developer Evangelist. Don't like to travel or speaking in front of people? That's OK, we're looking to hire qualified candidates for both online and offline specialities or people with the right mix of both.
A Day in the Life
Evangelists thrive on working on a variety of different tasks. No day is the same and you're never bored. You'll have more work than you could ever get done (in a good way) so you will rely on your judgement to prioritize what is important to work on right now. At any given time you could be working on:
- Generating technical content like blog posts, screencasts and tutorials.
- Traveling to developer events and conferences all over the world to give talks or just hang out with developers.
- Developing libraries, sample applications and other tools to make our customers' lives easier.
- Helping customers build the first prototypes of their apps, an extremely crucial stage for their success.
- Coordinating with product and engineering teams to funnel customer feedback back into the product.
- Participating in the broader developer community (e.g. Stack Overflow, open source projects, etc.).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrable artifacts of your coding acumen.
- A strong interest or previous experience building mobile apps on iOS or Android and proficiency with C# and .NET (or a willingness and ability to learn quickly).
- Previous experience speaking on technical topics in front of groups of people.
- Previous experience as a software engineer, engineering lead, product/program manager, sales engineer, support engineer, partner engineer or developer advocate.
- Work with some of the best software engineers in the world.
- Be a part of the fastest growing technology movement in the history of computing.
- We'll set you up with whatever hardware you need to do your best work. Macbook Airs, tablets and 27" iMacs are standard.
- Go to conferences you've always wanted to go to. Attend interesting sessions and learn exciting new things.
- Earn a ton of frequent flyer miles. Finally achieve status.
- Competitive salary. You are paid like an engineer, because you are one.
- Remote work from major metropolitan area possible for the right candidate. San Francisco, CA or Cambridge, MA is preferred.
- Relocation assistance to San Francisco, CA or Cambridge, MA.
- 20 vacation days per year to all employees. We encourage you to actually take it.
- Solid stock in a fast-growing startup.
Important: What to Include When You Apply
Please include samples of your work (project links, sample apps, writing samples, session videos, etc.) and a brief explanation about why you're interested in working at Xamarin. Bonus points for using our tools as part of your application.