Community Manager at Puppet Labs in Portland, OR
Department: Technical Operations
Reports To: VP Technical Operations
Location: Portland, OR
Summary of Role
Are you passionate about open source community? Do you have experience collaborating with software development teams? Excited about what Puppet Labs is doing and want to be a part of it?
At Puppet Labs we’re passionate about our community of users and developers, and we’re hiring a Community Manager to be responsible for building a big, happy community who are engaged with our products, engaged with each other, evangelize our products and provide feedback on our products.
In this role, you will be the face and voice of Puppet Labs to our community and help us grow and gauge the health of that community. You’ll help manage community tickets against the open source software code base and help the open source development team to encourage and recognize community contributors. In addition, you will establish, maintain, and communicate metrics on community growth and engagement, and collaborate with the marketing team to communicate with the community.
- Energy, enthusiasm, and empathy for the open source dynamic and the non-financial motivations of community contributors
- Prior experience with an open source software project, either as a developer or community manager
- Sufficient technical aptitude to understand and participate in technical discussions, debates, and issue prioritization within the open source community and development team
- Enjoy recruiting as well as collaborating and networking with a diverse and distributed collection of individuals which constitute the community
- Unquestioned integrity and ethical standards
- Strong written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 50% for conferences and community-related events
Preferred but not required:
- Technical degree and/or software development background
- Prior experience with a startup
Please include a cover letter along with your online application, answering some questions:
* Why are you the right person for this role? How is your experience going to help you do the job?
* What are the top three metrics that indicate a healthy community to you? Include how you would collect and present them.
* How do you deal with a disruptive member of the community?
* How do you balance commercial needs with open source community needs? When might conflicts arise and how might you resolve thems
Please include 3 references in your cover letter
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.
Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet Labs is all about.