Distributed Systems Engineer (Hadoop, Cassandra, HBase, etc.) at OpenDNS in S...
About the company
OpenDNS is building new pieces of fundamental infrastructure for the Internet. We provide an exciting and fulfilling work environment, unmatched opportunity for professional growth, and excellent compensation. We are a startup funded by Sequoia Capital and Greylock Partners with a growing team working full-time at our fantastic offices in San Francisco (a block away from Caltrain and MUNI) and have been operating a profitable business since 2007. Together we want to see a better and safer Internet for end-users around the world in enterprises and households alike.
About the position
This position is for a senior distributed systems engineer. We have tons of data (22 billion+ DNS queries per day) that we need help storing, sorting, analyzing and discarding. You will work with both home-grown solutions and open source NoSQL database systems like HBase or Cassandra. You must have experience successfully writing code that operates at scale and in production. You understand that sometimes grep'ing across 1000 flat files is faster than a huge MySQL DB. You understand what MapReduce techniques are good for and what they are not good for. You understand how to evaluate tradeoffs against disk, cpu and memory.
We want to hire the best talent we possibly can. We will also compensate you appropriately if you are truly the best. We will interview you and expect you to interview us. We will check references and ask for code samples (open source or otherwise). We will ask you to describe possible vectors of attack to solve complicated problems both out loud and/or on a whiteboard.
- Database nerd. You need to be excited about distributed databases and distributed filesystems.
- Expert programmer in a language of your choice (C, C++, Python, etc).
- You need to be very strong in understanding data structures, algorithms and common systems architectures.
- An ability to research, evaluate and present conclusions on various database systems; open source, commercial or home-grown.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field from a reputable university.
- Experience managing massive fast-moving datasets at a previous company.
- Experience as a Database Administrator.
- Experience with Un*x/Linux.
- Experience with MySQL.
- MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science
- Experience and understanding of multicast networking
- Previous use of Subversion or git for code management and versioning
- Familiarity with DNS
- Involvement in any Free or Open Source software projects
Benefits of working at OpenDNS
- Innovative -- We aren't a social networking or Web 2.0 photosharing site. We work on core Internet protocols and make them better.
- No ladders to climb -- We keep a relatively flat corporate structure that promotes fast movement and flexible teams.
- Meritocracy -- The best ideas win, regardless of where they come from.
- Time off to relax -- As a startup, we work our butts off. That's why it's important to get away to clear your mind from time to time. Three weeks and 10 company holidays make that easy.
- Technologists -- We are a company of engineers and technologists passionate about delivering a better Internet.
- Offsites -- It takes getting away for a day every quarter to focus on where we want to be as a company and how we're going to get there.
- No timecards -- We have a few weekly team meetings, but other than that delivering results counts for a lot more than sitting in your chair.
- Food -- Hard work makes you hungry. We keep a well-stocked kitchen with everything from cereal to ice cream.
- Frosty beverages -- Fridays often end with some nice frosty brewed beverages and good conversations.
- Breakfast by the Founder/CEO -- The early bird gets the worm, or in our case waffles on most Wednesdays, served by our Founder/CEO.
- Insurance -- We've got you covered from your head to your toes. Medical, Dental and Vision.
- 401K -- We're set up to help our team members practice responsible fiscal management.