Customer Service Manager at Benetech in Palo Alto, CA
Benetech, a Silicon Valley nonprofit, was founded in 2000 to create new technology solutions that serve humanity and empower people to improve their lives. Led by Jim Fruchterman, a prominent social entrepreneur and MacArthur Fellow, Benetech’s mission is to lead the world in innovative and effective applications of technology to unmet social needs.
About the Position:
Benetech is seeking a customer champion with an appetite for change and innovation to be our Customer Service Manager. This position will manage two critical customer facing teams, membership and customer support. The position reports to the Director of Operations for the Literacy Program and is based in Palo Alto, CA.
The Customer Service Manager will support the overall Benetech Literacy Program, with a primary focus on our Bookshare initiative. Bookshare is the world’s largest online library of copyrighted materials available to print-disabled individuals. The Bookshare library now includes over 150,000 titles and serves over 200,000 members.
If you want to help us build Benetech, please submit your resume through JobScore and be sure to include a cover letter with your resume. We want to hear about your interest in this position and your relevant experience.
- Customer Champion – Manage our critical customer service operations, including technical support and membership.
- Staff Management & Team Building – Great customer service begins with excellent staff and a strong team
- Process Innovation – We expect to improve our processes every year. As the manager of a team serving a customer base that is growing exponentially, process excellence and innovation are essential to this role.
- Data Tracking & Reporting – Responsible for tracking, analyzing, and reporting a wide array of metrics and creating new metrics and dashboards as the need arises.
- Cross Department Collaboration - The manager must work effectively across departments, as customer service impacts multiple functional areas.
- Audit and Compliance – The customer service teams maintain key information regarding eligibility for our services. The manager will ensure ongoing daily compliance with our policy and the related laws and regulations, as well as conduct periodic audits.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- A minimum of two years prior management or staff supervision experience
- Prior experience in customer facing roles; demonstrated excellence supporting customers
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills, teamwork orientation, and ability to motivate wide range of people. Sensitivity to issues of cultural diversity
- Demonstrated ability to manage operations and create innovative processes in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Experience with data tracking, reporting, and data analysis
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated writing ability
- Strong organizational and administrative skills. Must be able to work independently and as part of a team and with all levels of staff, Board, membership and volunteers, and across departments
- Office software proficiency, including SalesForce, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Database experience also a plus.
Benetech’s Organizational Truths
- We are committed to social change through technology
- We get stuff done
- We do the right stuff right
- We prefer open to proprietary (internal and external)
- We think we can do more together (internally and externally)
- We value flexibility (as an employer and from our employees)
- We are committed to personal and professional development