Software Engineer, API Development at SoundHound in Santa Clara, CA
SoundHound is leading the mobile sound search revolution. Join us.
SoundHound delights millions of users every day with its famously fast music and voice recognition apps, and is winning awards and praise along the way. Our flagship app for iPhone and Android recently won the most competitive category in Billboard's inaugural Music App Awards, and achieved top-ten honors from the New York Times, becoming the only music app to do so.
"Insane" - The New York Times' David Pogue
"...could save your sanity" - Don Lemon, CNN
At SoundHound you'll be joining a diverse, world-class group of engineers, scientists, designers, and marketers on a team that includes both recent grads and seasoned veterans. Our strongest academic ties are with Stanford, and prior industry stops for our team members include Google, Amazon, Oracle, and Sony.
SoundHound not only builds killer apps but also the industry leading core technologies powering these apps. If you've worked on core technologies in a large company context, or have been an app developer licensing technologies that never quite keep up with your needs, you will appreciate the uniquely empowering experience of a workplace that combines people from both backgrounds – literally within a few yards of each other.
We value creativity, innovation, hard work, open communication and fast iteration, which allow us to act on valuable feedback from employees and users alike. SoundHound's culture is one of impromptu coffee breaks, less-impromptu fitness sessions, group lunches, and regular happy hours.
We offer a competitive salary, SoundHound stock options, unique camaraderie, catered lunches, and even occasional visits from recording artists (recently including Justin Nozuka, Two Door Cinema Club, and MC Hammer). SoundHound is an equal opportunity employer.
- You'll be right in the middle of all the action, with hands-on ownership of our API, enabling our mobile apps (and third parties) to access our search systems, content, and features.
- You will need a sense of adventure and a battle-tested ability to build highly scalable systems.
- Your love of writing code will be second only to your love of deprecating even more code!
- You will care deeply about keeping the Ops team's pagers quiet.
- Quickly audit/understand/own existing code base powering SoundHound's API layer.
- Identify key scaling/stability pain points and architect/implement solutions, allowing SoundHound to keep up with explosive growth in user base.
- Iterate rapidly on new features, working closely with client-side teams and product design teams to elegantly design and implement new APIs.
- 3+ years working with robust and large scale production systems
- Extensive experience with PHP 5 and object-oriented programming
- Extensive experience with MySQL or a similar relational database including designing schemas and writing efficient queries
- Strong understanding of best practices around web operations, software development, release engineering, and quality assurance
Nice to Haves:
- Experience building REST/HTTP/XML API's to support apps on iOS, Android, etc.
- Experience with PHP frameworks, profiling & debugging, and unit-testing.
- Experience with authentication schemes and security
- Experience with data mining and profiling
- Experience with NoSQL database systems and cloud systems
How to Apply:
- Please send us your resume and cover letter. Tell us why you would like a job at SoundHound in particular.