UX Researcher at Foursquare in New York, NY
foursquare helps you and your friends make the most of where you are. We're a small but highly ambitious company with millions of users worldwide relying on foursquare to keep up with friends, discover what's nearby, save money and unlock deals. We’re also helping over a million registered merchants ranging from local businesses to global brands connect with their customers.
To thrive as a member of team foursquare, you must embrace our exciting work-hard, play-hard environment. We're a closely-knit team and, especially at the end of a long day over beers, we feel like we're inventing the future together.
About our User Experience Researcher position:
As a product organization we pride ourselves on our ability to evolve and push out product faster than anyone in our space. We’ve always done usability testing and field research during our development process but as our team, product and process matures we feel that it’s important to establish research and testing as a more primary part of our product development cycle in order to continue to serve our users as best we can. Additionally, as we work to further define and develop the foursquare experience for shops, restaurants, and other local businesses on the platform, we’d love to add someone who shares a passion for merchants and is excited about the opportunity that foursquare can play in changing the way they interact with their customers.
We’re looking for someone who brings with a strong grasp of qualitative and quantitative research methods but also has the flexibility to adapt them to a fast-paced startup environment. You’ll be responsible for investigating a product used by over 15 million people and by hundreds of thousands of businesses. This role represents an opportunity to partner closely with the design, product, and engineering teams to help define what usability testing should be at a fast-moving startup.
This position is based at our New York City headquarters in SoHo. We offer a competitive compensation package including equity options and full bennies for all employees.
- Take over and lead our regular usability testing initiatives
- Familiarity with a variety of qualitative and quantitative research tools: interviews, cognitive walkthroughs, surveys, contextual observation, etc.
- Work with designers + engineers to build out testing prototypes when possible
- Work closely with product managers and designers to take the research findings and turn them into product recommendations
- Define research objectives and select appropriate research methodologies to address those objectives
- Work with our data team to derive insights about product usage from our billion+ checkins to inform research and product directions
- Write lightweight, concise and actionable research summaries to communicate research results
- Develop guidelines, process & templates for UX research to ensure highest quality deliverables
- Work with various internal teams to execute in the field research
- Formalize the process for sourcing testing participants
- Care deeply about design and delighting users
- Show examples that demonstrate how your research led to insights around a particular set of users as well as changes to a product
- Understanding of the foursquare vision and the space in which we play
- Self-motivated and energetic
- 3+ years of relevant domain expertise
- Willingness to travel in order to conduct research in person
- Willingness to work outside of normal working hours in order to accommodate user schedules