Product Marketing Manager at Puppet Labs in Portland, OR
Product Marketing Manager
Reports to: VP Marketing
Location: Portland, OR
Summary of Role
Are you passionate about online marketing? Do you enjoy solving customer problems with innovative products? Want to market cutting edge technology that’s at the crest of the cloud computing and virtualization waves?
In leading our Product Marketing efforts, you will own evaluating customer needs throughout the marketing funnel and drive the creation of appropriate, effective content for each stage. Your curiosity will motivate you to try quick, efficient content “experiments” in a perpetuate build-measure-learn cycle as you build-up your knowledge of what works and what doesn’t. For these experiments, you will have a great balance of creative intuition, quantitative skills, and communications for running, iterating, and sharing. Moreover, in partnership with the VP of Marketing, you’ll establish and own aggressive objectives for the impact your efforts will have on the business in terms of traffic growth, lead growth, conversion rates, engagement rates, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, Economics, Engineering, or related field.
- Minimum 6 years in product marketing (“outbound marketing”) for B2B software companies in the IT management space.
- Ability to understand both Puppet Labs’ products and its target customers, then compellingly articulate, in written form, the benefits our target customers receive from product in the customers’ language.
- Demonstrated experience writing online website copy in collaboration with SEO marketing, blog posts, white papers, case studies, technical notes, customer-facing presentations for sales teams, competitive briefs, etc.
- Demonstrated success working with sales, product management, web marketing, partner marketing, events marketing, and other adjacent functions from a product marketing perspective.
- Strong verbal communication, presentation, writing, and editing skills.
- Strong collaboration, both face-to-face but also online via tools like wikis, Intranets, social networks, etc.
- Demonstrated ability using online analytic tools (e.g., Google Analytics) to instrument “experiments,” evaluate the results, and take appropriate action.
- Experience evaluating and managing external service providers (copywriters, designers, etc.).
Preferred but not required:
- Experience supervising staff, including hiring, performance management, team building, etc.
- Experience managing budgets
- Basic competencies utilizing web publishing technologies (HTML, CSS, etc.)
- MBA or advanced degree in a related area
Please include a cover letter with your application which includes the following:
2) Please summarize how your experience fits each of the listed qualifications of the position.
3) Please provide a link to 2 writing samples you have created that are relevant to this type of role, and 2 relevant writing samples produced as a result of your oversight of contractors or copywriters.
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.
Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet Labs is all about.