Senior Application Developer: iOS / Android at Madefire in Berkeley, CA
Senior Application Developer: iOS / Android
Since the earliest cave paintings, stories have been told visually. With the advent of tablets, there's an opportunity to bring visual storytelling to a new level and evolve a new grammar for words and pictures. Madefire is building the tools to allow artists and writers to tell their stories in ways never seen before. We're at the start of our journey, but we already have a potent set of ingredients. Our founding team is a mix of art, design and technology. We're funded by True Ventures, the inspired team behind behind Wordpress, and we're thrilled to be launching with a completely new storyworld from Dave Gibbons, co-creator of Watchmen, the best selling graphic novel of all time.
Madefire is based in Berkeley, and we're looking for the best technical talent to work along side the founders and some of the world's best creators to make this the next chapter for storytelling.
We are looking for an iOS developer to build one of the versions of the Madefire reader app. As iOS developers are in short supply, we are quite open to great U/I developers who are excited to become experts in iOS, and to push iOS as far as it can go in service of the most engaging content.
For this position, we need U/I developers who have application expertise, as opposed to web U/I developers; Flash, Flex, Silverlight, or any desktop application development framework.
Here are the technical characteristics of the person we're looking for:
- Experience with constrained environments (i.e. embedded systems, limited bandwidth)
- Expert-level UX knowledge
- Deep expertise in a compiled language (C#, Java, Objective C)
- Deep expertise in graphics programming / manipulation (matrix transformations and all that jazz)
- Deep knowledge of graphic formats, both raster and vector
- Solid working knowledge of graphics production software (Premiere, After Effects, etc)
- Extensive experience with touch interfaces
- Deep knowledge of asynchronous U/I programming
- Deep knowledge of JSON / XML for communicating between rich client and server
- Experience with building products as platforms
- Degree in CS, MS preferred
- Video encoding expertise
- Image processing expertise
- Experience optimizing bandwidth vs. fidelity (audio and visual)
Here are the temperamental characteristics of the person we're looking for:
- Love of design
- Deep admiration for designers, and experience in working closely with designers
- Love of the startup lifestyle
- Passion for the arts (preferably a practitioner of art, music, drama, or literature)
- Ability to GSD
- Healthy balance of strong opinions while keeping dogma in check
- Platform agnosticism (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Flash, HTML5; it's all good)
- Tolerance for ambiguity
- Willingness to do it "ugly" whenever necessary
- Obsession with doing it "right" whenever possible
- Ability to start
- Ability to finish
- Elevate co-workers (i.e. not a ball-hog)
- Enjoy being in the office, but be able to be productive from home
We offer competitive salary & benefits. We already have a great work environment, and look forward to shaping it further as we bring in the members of the core team.
To be continued...